Monday, December 26, 2016

Preparing to think outside "my" box :)

19 more days!!

 I was so excited today to receive via email my RN orientation packet! I have longed so desperately to provide nursing care in a setting that follows the model of Jesus. My heart jumped for joy and rested with peace as I read the following on the first page :). 

Since Jesus is the model for our work and ministry, the motivation behind our service can be reflected in the following scriptures: 

"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me." Matthew 25:35-36 

"The King will reply, I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.Matthew 25:40 

"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.John 13:34-35 

As I read on I was humbled  to be reminded that there are many "ways of doing". When you combine medical professionals from all over the world, one quickly needs to master the attribute of flexibility! The notion of "this is the way I have always done it" needs to be an open ended notion. 

Post op care, dressing change procedures and medication regimes vary from country to country. For example medication orders vary between outreaches, depending on what is procured. We are taught to "be aware that medication comes from many nations, and may be labeled in different languages. When in doubt, look it up!"  Generic and Trade names may be different than from what you are familiar. Only generic names are used. (Example: Paracetamol, Acetaminophen, Tylenol, and Panadol are all common names for the same medication.) 


Lastly, we are taught that "It is important to work with the awareness that almost everything in this environment is new for patients". It may be their first time: 
- in a hospital 
- on a ship 
- outside their village 
- seeing white people 
- feeling air conditioning 
- hearing English spoken 
- walking down stairs 
- using a western-style toilet 
- using a shower 
- sleeping in a bed 

I sigh with excitement as the days are drawing closer to step on board the Big White Ship :)

"But now, God has placed the members, each one of them, in the body, just as He desired. And if they were all one member, where would the body be? But there are many members, but one body. And the eye cannot say to the hand, 'I have no need of you' or again the head to the feet, I have no need of you.'" 1 Corinthians 12:18-21 

You can be part of this incredible mission as well. Please join me in prayer and/or financial support as we journey together being the hands and feet of Jesus. 
http://mercyships-us.donorpages.com/crewmates/KathyWagner


No comments:

Post a Comment